|First Year Camper
The First Year Camper (FYC) program provides many opportunities for Scouts to learn new skills and take part in terrific adventures. This program will develop areas of outdoor skills, Scout skills, and citizenship. The First Year Camper (FYC) program focuses on helping young Scouts advance through the ranks of Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class, and/or First Class. A new schedule will take place this summer. From 9:00-10:00 a.m. requirements for Scout & Tenderfoot will be worked on. Then, Scouts will have the choice of two separate sessions for Second and First Class. Sessions from 10:00-12:00 and 3:00-5:00 will be offered. These sessions will be offering the same programming, thus Scouts should only enroll in 1 of these two sessions in online registration (options will be part of merit badge sign up online). That leaves Scouts with a two hour block to take merit badge programming, either 10:00-12:00 or 3:00-5:00.
The FYC program will work with Scoutmasters from units to ensure the Scouts have mastered the skills that they have learned. While our staff will do our best to ensure all Scouts participating have demonstrated thorough understanding of the skills gained, the signature required in each Scout’s handbook will still be required to be signed by the Scoutmaster. There will be a time offered during the week for Scoutmasters to visit with the staff with any concerns they may have regarding fulfilled requirements.
The FYC program will focus not only on teaching a participant the Scout skills needed to master the requirements of the Rank they are working towards, but will also focus on the skills a Scout needs to be an active member of their troop. The FYC program will focus on the 8 Methods of Scouting:
- Patrols—Youth will be split up into patrols at the beginning of the week and throughout that week participants will work together as a Patrol. Youth will understand how to function as a Patrol.
- Ideals—Throughout the week the youth will reinforce the ideals of Scouting, which are spelled out in the Scout Oath, Law, motto and slogan.
- Outdoor Program—The FYC program will occur at multiple areas throughout camp. Scouts will get a taste of what each of the program areas at camp are as well as what activities their Troop and Patrol can do on a monthly basis.
- Advancement—Youth will begin to master the skills laid out in the ranks of Tenderfoot through First Class. Every FYC participant will have the opportunity to earn at least one Merit Badge during the FYC program.
- Association with Adults—Participants will begin to really build a relationship with a Scoutmaster from their Troop as they work from 1:30-3:00 p.m. everyday to master their Scout skills and receive advancement credit.
- Personal Growth—Scouts will be pushed outside of their comfort zone.
- Leadership Development– When the youth break up into patrols they will elect a patrol leader, just like they do in their home troop. The patrol will rotate throughout the week so that every youth has the opportunity to get a taste of what it means to be a patrol leader.
- Uniform—Scouts will learn how to properly uniform themselves as well when the activity and field uniform is most appropriate.
Back to Program Areas Page